USP is governed by leaders from science, healthcare and academia coming from around the world who serve on two governance bodies – the USP Convention and the Board of Trustees. The vision of these governing bodies is executed by the organization’s executive leadership team.
Held every five years, the USP Convention provides overall governance spanning five-year cycles. Representatives of member organizations convene in Washington, DC, to carry out critical governance activities, including discussing issues important to USP constituents, setting organizational strategy, voting on resolutions that help guide USP’s work and electing the Board of Trustees.
Member organizations represent a variety of valuable perspectives from around the world, including academic institutions, health practitioner and scientific associations, consumer organizations, manufacturer and trade associations, government bodies and associations, and non-governmental standards-setting organizations.
The Board of Trustees meets quarterly throughout the year to guide USP policies, finances and strategic direction, as set by the Convention. The volunteer board is comprised of two trustees who represent the medical sciences, two trustees who represent the pharmaceutical sciences, three trustees who serve in an at-large capacity, and one trustee who represent the public interest.
- Todd K. Abraham, Ph.D., MBA (At-Large Trustee)
- Gregory E. Amidon, Ph.D. (Pharmaceutical Sciences Trustee)
- Satyanarayana Chava (At-Large Trustee)
- Paul Chew, M.D. (Medical Trustee)
- John E. Courtney, Ph.D. (Treasurer)
- Timothy R. Franson, B.S. Pharm., M.D. (Past President, USP Convention)
- Jesse L. Goodman, M.D., M.P.H. (President, USP Convention)
- Laura Herman, M.B.A., M.A. (Public trustee)
- Robert J. Meyer, M.D. (Medical Sciences Trustee)
- Ronald T. Piervincenzi, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, ex officio member
- Marilyn K. Speedie, Ph.D. (Pharmaceutical Sciences Trustee)
- Thomas R. Temple, B.S.Pharm., M.S., FAPhA (Past Chair, At-Large Trustee)
- Gail R. Wilensky, Ph.D. (At-Large Trustee)
- Susan C. Winckler, R.Ph., J.D. (Chair, At-Large Trustee)
- Ronald T. Piervincenzi, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer
- Jaap Venema, Ph.D., Chief Science Officer, and Chair, Council of Experts
- Stan Burhans, Chief Financial Officer
- Anthony Lakavage, J.D., Senior Vice President, Global External Affairs
- Amanda Cowley, J.D., Senior Vice President, Strategy & Business Development
- Scott Henderson, M.S., Senior Vice President, Global Information Services
- Emily Kaine, M.D., Senior Vice President, Global Health
- Salah Kivlighn, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Global Strategic Marketing & Program Operations
- K.V. Surendranath, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Global Sites
- Hermes van der Lee, Senior Vice President, Global Laboratory Operations; Acting Senior Vice President, Global Human Resources