As a Pharmaceutical Sciences Trustee, Ms. Susan C. Winckler will leverage the knowledge that she gained while serving on USP’s Board of Trustees and as its Chair during the last year of the 2015-2020 cycle and apply it to helping USP achieve even more as it begins its next cycle and its next century.
A pharmacist and attorney by training, Ms. Winckler is a graduate of the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy and the Georgetown University Law Center. As a former dispenser of medications meeting USP standards and as a current assessor of the global drug regulatory environment, she views public health and the quality of medicines from a unique vantage point. Ms. Winckler has worked with state and federal government agencies, most notably, as the former Chief of Staff for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) within the Department of Health and Human Services. She was also President and CEO of the Food and Drug Law Institute, a nonprofit organization whose conferences, publications, and other programs give members opportunities to interact and discuss food and drug law issues.
Ms. Winckler attributes her interest in global medicine quality and her commitment to USP in part to her role helping to lead negotiations with the Chinese government to reach agreements to improve drug and device safety in the US and China. That work led to FDA’s expansion from its domestic footprint to a regulator with offices around the world. Her work with state and federal governments, in non-profits, advancing the role of pharmacists and food and drug laws and regulations, and time spent in the private sector helping organizations across healthcare adapt to an ever-changing environment provides three different perspectives that she brings to the Board. She is currently the CEO of the Reagan-Udall Foundation, a non-profit organization established by Congress to advance regulatory science and support the mission of the FDA.
- Reagan-Udall Foundation for the FDA: Chief Executive Officer
- Leavitt Partners Solutions: President, Chief Risk Management Officer
- Food & Drug Law Institute: Chief Executive Officer
- Food and Drug Administration: Chief of Staff
- American Pharmacists Association: Vice President Policy/Communications and Staff Counsel
- Georgetown University, J.D.
- University of Iowa College of Pharmacy, B.S.
Awards, Recognition, Admissions:
- Fellow: American Pharmacists Association
- Board Membership: Chair, United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP)
- Board Membership: Purgo Scientific, LLC
- Membership: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Pharmacy National Advisory Council
- Jacob W. Miller Award, American Pharmacists Association Foundation
- FDA Commissioner’s Special Citation, China Agreement Negotiating Team
- Woman of Distinction, Alpha Xi Delta Women’s Fraternity
- Distinguished Young Alumni Award, University of Iowa Alumni Association