Recently retired from his position as CEO and President of Trinity Health, Dr. Richard J. Gilfillan sought opportunities to use his experience as a leader in multiple segments of the healthcare industry to add value to organizations working to improve the quality and value of healthcare systems. Recognizing USP’s commitment to public health and quality medicines Dr. Gilfillan was keen to join the Board of Trustees and is well-positioned to serve in his role as an At Large Trustee for the 2020-2025 cycle.
During his 30-year career, Dr. Gilfillan has been a practicing family physician, an integrated health system and Insurance Company executive. He has worked in both the for-profit and non-profit worlds and within government. This varied experience has enabled him to view the healthcare system through different lenses, giving him multiple perspectives that he will bring to bear as he helps guide USP over the next five years.
Dr. Gilfillan has led teams that have built care systems to deliver better outcomes for people and communities. As the first Director of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI), he developed a new team that worked with payors and providers to develop innovative models for improving patient care and reducing costs. Prior to his appointment at CMMI, Dr. Gilfillan was President and CEO of Geisinger Health Plan and Executive Vice President of insurance operations for Geisinger Health System, a large integrated health system in Pennsylvania. Previously, he was the Senior Vice President for national network management at Coventry Health Care. He also was the Chief Medical Officer at Independence Blue Cross. In 2018, he played a leading role in the creation of Civica Rx, a non-profit committed to increasing access to critical medications.
Dr. Gilfillan began his career as a family medicine physician in rural Massachusetts. He earned his undergraduate and medical degrees from Georgetown University and an M.B.A. degree from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Trinity Health: CEO and President
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Deputy Administrator
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation: Director
- Geisinger Health Plan: President and CEO
- Geisinger Health System: Executive Vice President of Insurance Operations
- Coventry Health Care: Senior Vice President for National Network Management
- Independence Blue Cross: Chief Medical Officer
- Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, M.B.A.
- Georgetown University, M.D.
Awards, Recognition, Admissions:
- In 2018, played a leading role in the creation of Civica Rx, a non-profit committed to increasing access to critical medications.
- Founding Board Chair: Healthcare Transformation Task Force
- Board membership: Institute for Exceptional Care
- Honorary Doctor of Science Degrees: Georgetown University, University of Hartford