Dr. Thomas Menighan brings 40 years of volunteerism, a longstanding relationship with USP and an unwavering commitment to the pharmacy profession as he begins his tenure as an At Large Trustee on USP’s Board for the 2020-2025 cycle. His contributions to USP span 20 years, including ten years as an active volunteer, five years on the Board of Trustees, and 20 years as a Delegate to the USP Convention where he most recently served as a member of the Council of the Convention. Acknowledging USP’s accomplishments and future potential, Dr. Menighan has a deep appreciation of the thousands of staff and volunteers dedicated to USP’s mission to improve global heath through public standards to ensure medicine quality.
As an At Large Trustee, he will continue to volunteer his leadership to USP and find new opportunities for collaboration across the professions and industry. Dr. Menighan recently retired from the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), the oldest, largest, and most diverse pharmacists’ organization in America where served as the Executive Vice President and CEO. Dr. Menighan also held multiple volunteer positions with APhA, as President, a member of the Board of Trustees and a senior staff member. As Senior Director of External Affairs, he managed state affairs, public relations, new business development, and practice management issues. Dr. Menighan now holds the title of APhA CEO Emeritus.
In his role as APhA CEO, Dr. Menighan championed numerous collaborations with USP, including establishment of a partnership between APhA and USP on the Remington Honor Medal Innovation Forum. During this time, USP and APhA also partnered to offer sterile compounding prep courses for Board of Pharmacy Specialties Board Certification, and APhA voted to bring USP into the APhA House of Delegates.
When asked about a professional achievement of which he is especially proud, Dr. Menighan cites his role in the ongoing collaboration between USP and APhA, and APhA’s support for maintaining USP’s standing regarding biologics.
- American Pharmacists Association: CEO Emeritus
- PursueCareRx: Founder and board member
- Catizone, Luce & Menighan Pharmacy Advisors: Founder
- SymRx: Founding CEO and
- SynTegra: Founding CEO
- Medicine Shoppe Store #290: Founder
- Averett College, MBA
- West Virginia University: Sc.D. Honorary
- University of Charleston: Sc.D. Honorary West Virginia
- University School of Pharmacy, B.S., Pharmacy
Awards, Recognition, Admissions:
- President: APhA 2001-2002
- Board Membership: Dean’s Advisory Council, WVU, University of Maryland, University of Florida, and University of Texas (former)
- Chair: Pharmacy Quality Solutions (PQS)
- Board Membership: West Virginia Drug Intervention Institute
- Board Membership: USP Board of Trustees 2010-2015, 2020-2025