Dr. Stephen Ostroff has dedicated his career to promoting and protecting public health. Recognizing the alignment of USP’s mission with his personal and professional priorities, Dr. Ostroff will serve on USP’s Board of Trustees for the 2020-2025 cycle as a Medical Sciences Trustee, helping shape USP’s direction going into the future to ensure that USP can continue to fulfill its public health mission.
Dr. Ostroff brings a wealth of experience in dealing with a vast array of regulatory matters. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, his distinguished career has included multiple leadership positions. As the former Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine at FDA, he oversaw the food and animal health activities of FDA, including FDA’s responsibilities in the areas of food safety and nutrition, food labeling, food and color additives, cosmetics, dietary supplements, animal drugs and animal feed, and research to support the food and veterinary medicine mission of FDA. As FDA’s Chief Scientist, his office worked closely with FDA’s product centers, providing strategic leadership and support for FDA’s regulatory science and innovation initiatives. While serving as Deputy Director of the National Center for Infectious Diseases at CDC, Dr. Ostroff focused on emerging infectious diseases, food safety, and coordination of complex outbreak response.
When asked about a professional achievement that he is most proud of, Dr. Ostroff cites the two occasions when he served as acting commissioner for the FDA. “It’s an incredibly rewarding job, especially when you see the impact of the things that the agency does,” said Dr. Ostroff. “Having the opportunity to be the front person and the voice for all of that wonderful work was an experience that I will never forget.”
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Acting Commissioner; Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine; Chief Scientist
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Deputy Director; Associate Director for Epidemiologic Science, National Center for Infectious Diseases
- Pennsylvania Department of Health: Director, Bureau of Epidemiology, Physician General
- Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Public Health
- Adjunct Professor of Public Health Sciences, Penn State University School of Medicine
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., and M.D.
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Internal Medicine Residency
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Preventive Medicine Residency