- To provide drug classification systems built upon meaningful groupings of drugs tailored for stakeholder use. This includes but not limited to a tool to review and develop formularies, indicate characteristics of drugs (e.g. combination drug product), and provide comprehensive drug listings of certain drug classes.
- Improve correct and safe use of quality medicine for patients. This includes solutions such as patient centered labeling of prescription containers to empower patient’s health literacy.
- Create and revise standards for emerging safety issues such as opioids and COVID_19 to enhance medication use and safety.
Expert Committee Charge
- The Healthcare Safety and Quality Expert Committee will collaborate with stakeholders to develop, strengthen, revise, and promote adoption of healthcare quality standards that address quality and safety related to the use of medications and that are of value to patients and practitioners. The HSQ EC will focus on healthcare quality standards that support the US National Quality Strategy and address current public health needs. In addition, the HSQ EC will continuously revise the USP Medicare Model Guidelines, USP Drug Classification, and other USP General Chapters.
- USP Medicare Model Guidelines (USP MMG)
- USP Drug Classification (USP DC)
- Medication Safety
- <1066> Physical Environments that Promote Safe Medication Use
Subgroups and Expert Panels
- Medicare Model Guidelines (MMG) Subcommittee
- USP Drug Classification (USP DC) Subcommittee
- Health Literacy Expert Panel
- Labeling and Safety Joint Subcommittee
- The latest ballot results can be found here (results can be filtered by particular ECs).
- The status of Revisions, Deferrals, Cancellations, Commentary, and Index for each USP–NF and Supplement can be found here.
Learn more about the impact of this EC and its Associated Expert Bodies