- Ascertain that candidates for USP dietary supplements monograph development do not present serious risk to health or other public health concerns, prior to developing USP standards for the dietary supplement ingredient.
Expert Committee Charge
- Determine the admissibility of dietary supplement articles for USP quality monograph development according to the Guideline for the Admission of Dietary Supplement Ingredients to the USP–NF Monograph Development Process.
- Monitor the literature periodically for any new information that may alter the admission status of a dietary ingredient/supplement already published in USP-NF or previously not admitted for monograph development.
- Contribute to projects related to safety assessment of dietary supplements that may require their input and any other matters related to safety of herbal medicine ingredients published in the USP’s herbal medicines compendium (HMC) according to the USP Guidelines.
- Advise the Food Ingredients EC on matters related to the safety of food ingredients and setting limits for undesirable constituents.
- Admission of Non-Botanical Dietary Ingredients
- Admission of Botanical Dietary Ingredients
- Monitor Literature on Safety of Dietary Ingredients monographed in USP-NF
Associated Expert Bodies
- NBDS EC
- BDSHM EC
- FI EC
- The status of Revisions, Deferrals, Cancellations, Commentary, and Index for each USP–NF and Supplement can be found here.
Learn more about the impact of this EC and its Associated Expert Bodies
- Kit Goldman, Ph.D., Director, Dietary Supplements & Herbal Medicines - Science, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hellen Oketch, Ph.D., Senior Manager and Senior Scientific Liaison, Dietary Supplements and Herbal Medicines, email@example.com
- Emily Madden, Ph.D., D.A.B.T., Scientific Liaison, Dietary Supplements and Herbal Medicines, firstname.lastname@example.org
- James Austgen, Ph.D., Expert Committee Manager, email@example.com