USP in the News
Below are links to news stories in which USP appeared. Please note, you may be directed to an outside web page.
- Testing Trends & Takeaways: Is the nutraceuticals industry passing its most critical assessments and how can companies improve?
Nutraceuticals World (10/1/13)—USP’s John Atwater, PhD, senior director, Verification Programs, discusses the challenges that dietary supplement manufacturers face and why having public standards and reference materials widely available to manufacturers of dietary supplements is crucial to increase and maintain quality controls in the dietary supplements industry.
- 5 Fraudulent Foods
Yahoo! (8/26/13)—USP’s Markus Lipp, senior director of food standards, discusses the top 5 adulterated foods.
- Interview: Maves Carries OTC Experience to Development Role at USP
The Tan Sheet (9/2/13)—Michael Maves, Senior VP of Development at USP, talked to “The Tan Sheet” about his OTC sector history and his priorities for development at the U.S. Pharmacopeia.
- Food fraud: Which ingredients are most vulnerable?
Food Navigator (8/23/13)—You can’t paint a horse like a cow and expect people not to notice—but grind their meat into patties and it may be a different story. So what makes an ingredient vulnerable to food fraud? USP’s Markus Lipp, senior director of food standards, on economically motivated adulteration.
- Trace Metals Debate
Chemical & Engineering News (8/19/13)—Contentious new guidelines on pharmaceutical impurities will force the drug industry to change testing strategies.
- Food fraud: USP’s Food Fraud Database-Markus Lipp, Ph.D.
Blogtalk Radio (7/19/13)—SP’s Markus Lipp, senior director of food standards, discusses food fraud.
- USP Proposes Identity Standard for Pomegranate Juice
Food Quality and Safety (7/16/13)—USP’s Markus Lipp, senior director of food standards, on updates to the Food Chemical Codex (FCC), including the first example of a new type of resource, the FCC Identity Standard, designed to help food scientists verify the identity of complex food ingredients, such as pomegranate juice.
- USP Establishes Anti-Counterfeit Training Center in Ghana
FDA News (5/14/13)—Article on new USP training center in Ghana to help educate regulators there on how to stem the tide of counterfeit and substandard drugs that have flooded the country and trickled into the rest of sub-Saharan Africa.
- Waging War on Deadly Fake Drugs in West Africa
NBC News/The Grio (4/5/2013)—USP’s Patrick Lukulay on counterfeit and substandard medicines in Africa and how USP’s work will help combat them through the new Center for Pharmaceutical Advancement and Training.
- Voices of Leadership: A Q&A with Desmond Hunt, U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention
Healthcare Packaging (4/1/2013)—Interview with USP’s Desmond Hunt on standards for packaging and labeling of pharmaceuticals.
- Analyzing Botanical Dietary Supplements
Chemical & Engineering News (3/18/2013)—USP’s Gabriel Giancaspro on USP’s Dietary Supplements Compendium and how it can be used to identify the true nature of botanicals.
- USP Hits Milestone with 3,000th Reference Standard
Nutra-Ingredients USA (3/6/2013)—Article reports on the achievement of 3,000 USP Reference Standards.
- Russian Lab Achieves ISO Accreditation
PharmTech.com (3/5/2013)—Article describes USP’s role in helping a medicines control laboratory in Russia receive ISO accreditation.
- Vitamin D Doses Often Don't Match Labels, Study Says
USA Today (2/11/2013)—USP’s John Atwater discusses standards for Vitamin D supplements in this article, which also recommends that consumers look for the USP Verified Mark when purchasing dietary supplements.
- Biocon's Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw on US Pharma Body Board
Business Standard (1/25/2013)—Article on USP’s new board member, Dr. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw.
- EXCLUSIVE: Group Finds More Fake Ingredients in Popular Foods
ABC News (1/22/2013)—Broadcast news feature and article detail new additions to the USP Food Fraud Database.
- F.C.C. Revisions Proposed for Steviol Glycosides, Caffeine
Food Business News (1/2/2013)—Proposed FCC standards for various food ingredients is the focus of this article.