USP Compounding Standards & Resources
Sign up for USPs Healthcare Quality Standards Newsletter and stay informed about changes to compounding general chapters, official dates, continuing educational opportunities, and more.
USP compounding standards help compounding practitioners adhere to widely acknowledged, scientifically sound procedures and practices, and facilitate the delivery of consistent and good-quality prepared medicines to patients.
State Boards of Pharmacy may adopt USP compounding standards into their regulations.
- Notice of Intent to Revise: General Chapter <800> Hazardous Drugs—Handling in Healthcare Settings (Posted 15–Apr–2016; Updated 29–Apr-2016)
- Publication Correction: USP Compounding Compendium (posted 05–Feb–2016)
- Frequently Asked Questions: Compounding (posted 13–Jan–2014; updated 25–Sep–2015)
- Compounded Preparations Title Change (posted 29–Aug–2014)
- Proposed General Chapter <1160> Pharmaceutical Calculations in Prescription Compounding (posted 25–Apr–2014)
- <795> Pharmaceutical Compounding—Nonsterile Preparations: Revision Bulletin (posted 22–Nov–2013; official 01–Jan–2014)
<797> Pharmaceutical Compounding—Sterile Preparations
- Open-Microphone Web Meeting (posted 09–Oct–2015)
- Notice of Intent to Revise: <797> (posted 25–Sep–2015)
- Frequently Asked Questions: <797> (updated 01–Feb–2016)
<800> Hazardous Drugs—Handling in Healthcare Settings
- Notice of Intent to Revise: General Chapter <800> Hazardous Drugs—Handling in Healthcare Settings (15–Apr–2016)
- Commentary for General Chapter <800> Hazardous Drugs—Handling in Healthcare Settings (posted 01–Feb–2016)
- Frequently Asked Questions: <800> (updated 01–Feb–2016)
- Read about proposed <797> revisions in this Quality Matters blog by Compounding Expert Committee Chair Gigi Davidson.
- What is Compounding? Learn more about USP's role in this Quality Matters blog.
- Read article "Strength and Stability Testing for Compounded Preparations"
- Legal Considerations
- Public Health Webinar
- Collaborative Partnerships
- American Pharmacists Association (APhA)
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)
- Centers for Disease Control Prevention (CDC)
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
- International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists (IACP)
- National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP)
- National Home Infusion Association (NHIA)
- National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA)
- Pharmacy Compounding Accreditation Board (PCAB)
USP–NF General Chapters
- <797> Pharmaceutical Compounding—Sterile Preparations
- <795> Pharmaceutical Compounding—Nonsterile Preparations
- <1160> Pharmaceutical Calculations in Prescription Compounding
- <1163> Quality Assurance in Pharmaceutical Compounding
- <1176> Prescription Balances & Volumetric Apparatus
Compliance with General Chapter <797> requires the use of other General Chapters, which are available in the publication "USP Compounding Compendium" for purchase.