The USP–NF is a combination of two compendia, the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) and the National Formulary (NF). It contains standards for medicines, dosage forms, drug substances, excipients, biologics, compounded preparations, medical devices, dietary supplements, and other therapeutics. The current version of USP–NF standards deemed official by USP are enforceable by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for medicines manufactured and marketed in the United States. Learn more about the USP–NF and how it is developed.
Highlights & Features
- More than 4,600 monographs with specifications for identity, strength, quality, purity, packaging, and labeling for substances and dosage forms. View a sample USP–NF monograph.
- More than 260 General Chapters providing clear, step-by-step guidance for assays, tests, and procedures
- Focus-specific charts and a combined index help you find the information you need
- Helpful sections on reagents, indicators, and solutions, plus reference tables
- The latest edition, USP 36–NF 31, published on November 1, 2012 in English, and became official May 1, 2013. It is available as a one-year subscription in print, online, and USB flash drive formats.
- PRINT: Includes a 3-volume print main edition and two separate print supplements. Printed on thick, durable paper stock, for laboratory and manufacturing use. Each volume contains a complete table of contents and index. Shipped in a convenient slipcase for easy access and storage.
- ONLINE: Provides access to all updates posted online during the 12 months after subscription start date. Online features include viewable chemical structures for more than 700 impurities; FAQs; quick search, bookmarking, printing, and copy/paste functions; My USP–NF—a special online tool that lets you save searches and bookmark pages—plus printable PDFs, pronunciations, and 3-D chemical structures. Available for one year for one or more users. (View online technical support.)
- USB FLASH DRIVE: The USB flash drive format provides the same quality content found in print, along with viewable chemical structures for more than 700 impurities; FAQs; and quick search, bookmarking, printing, and copy/paste functions. Each main edition and supplement integrates content from all previous editions. Subscribers will receive updates that occur during their subscription period on a new cumulative USB flash drive. (Note: The USB flash drive format has replaced the CD format offered for USP 34–NF 29 and previous editions. View USB flash drive technical support.)
- All formats feature new, streamlined monograph design for new and revised monographs since USP 33–NF 28 Reissue. The new design is being phased into the compendia in stages.
- An official Spanish edition is available in print only (Russian print translation of a previous edition is also available)
Benefits & Applications
The USP–NF offers convenient, comprehensive information for all phases of producing quality prescription, nonprescription, and compounded medicines; excipients; biologics; medical devices; and dietary supplements. It is essential for quality control, quality assurance, regulatory/compendial affairs, research and development, method development/analytical services, and corporate management. USP–NF monographs and methods can help to
- Ensure compliance with required U.S. quality standards
- Work to world-recognized standards of precision and accuracy
- Validate test results against proven benchmarks
- Establish and validate in-house standard operating procedures, and specifications
- Expedite new product development and approvals
A Valuable Reference for
Scientists, professionals, and students working in or with
- Pharmaceuticals—prescription and nonprescription drugs
- Biological and biotechnology products
- Blood and blood products
- Compounded preparations
- Dietary supplements
- Excipients/other drug ingredients
- Medical devices
- Medical gases
- Medical libraries
- Schools of medicine and pharmacy
- Veterinary drugs