Food Chemicals Codex (FCC)
The new FCC, Ninth Edition, publishes March 2014. Pre-order your print copy now!
The FCC is a compendium of internationally recognized standards for determining the purity and quality of food ingredients. It is a valuable resource for authenticating a wide variety of ingredients, including processing aids, preservatives, flavorings, colorants, and nutrients. The FCC is revised and updated through an open collaborative revision process involving industry, government, and the public. Learn more about the FCC development and revision process.
Highlights & Features
- More than 1,100 monographs featuring key specifications:
- empirical formula; structural formula; formula weight; CAS, INS, and FEMA numbers
- description, including physical form and solubility
- function; identification; assay; impurity limits; and specific tests
- packaging and storage; and more. View a sample FCC monograph.
- 15 appendices providing clear, step-by-step guidance for more than 150 tests and assays
- Helpful information and guidance: Validation of Food Chemicals Codex Methods; AOAC/ISO/IUPAC guidelines on method validation; USP Reference Standards for food ingredients; Information on analytical techniques from USP–NF General Chapters, IR spectra; General Good Manufacturing Practices Guidelines for Food Chemicals; Comparison of GMP elements from foods and drugs; and FCC in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
- 2,000+ entry excerpt from the USP Food Fraud Database: featuring information on adulterants reported for specific ingredients, including analytical methods. Based on scholarly manuscripts and media articles from 1980–2010, it serves as a baseline on fraud issues and is a useful risk management tool.
Subscription Information: Includes Three Supplements
- Two-year subscription, available in print and online formats. Subscription includes a main edition and three supplements, which publish at six-month intervals during the subscription period. Each supplement contains significant new and revised standards and information. View publication and comment schedule.
Benefits & Applications
- The FCC is an essential reference for food and beverage manufacturing, food chemicals and ingredient supply chain management, quality control, and regulatory affairs.
- The latest edition provides accepted standards that include validated methods with the associated specifications—use them with global partners to manage your supply chain.
- FCC standards can help differentiate suppliers and can help manufacturers save time and money on day-to-day purchasing and transactions.