USP–Ghana is home to the Center for Pharmaceutical Advancement and Training (CePAT), a USP Global Health Impact Program. Launched in 2013, CePAT provides high-quality analytical and training services to help strengthen the capacity of national regulatory authorities to detect falsified and substandard medicines, and of local manufacturers to sustainably ensure quality-assured medicine.
USP-Ghana primarily serves Sub-Saharan Africa—a region seriously threatened by poor quality medicines proliferation. The site is rapidly expanding while strengthening its training and testing capabilities to help ensure that only quality, safe and beneficial medicines are available to patients in Africa. Since its opening, CePAT has trained approximately 190 professionals from 32 African countries on a wide-range of pharmaceutical regulatory, quality assurance and quality control functions. In addition to providing training, CePAT screens pharmaceuticals for quality from across the sub-region.
- For CePAT: Patrick Lukulay, V.P., Global Health Impact Programs-Africa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For USP-Ghana and USP’s Global Health Impact Programs: Kelly Willis, S.V.P., Global Public Health, email@example.com
Upcoming CePAT Courses
To register for CePAT courses, contact Neimatu Adjabui at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Good Manufacturing Practices 4, Session I: July 11-22, 2016
- Medicines Registration and Dossier Compilation 4, Session I: September 05 – 16, 2016
- Quality Control 4, Session I: November 14-25, 2016
These 3-to-5-day courses help build skills in specific technical areas and are offered to professionals servicing the pharmaceutical regulatory and manufacturing sectors, as well as university students wishing to prepare for a career in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Analytical method validation
- Annual product quality review
- Calibration of dissolution test apparatus
- Comparative dissolution studies
- Developing and implementing a stability program
- Dissolution method development and validation
- Equipment preventive maintenance
- HPLC & GC analytical method development (prior to validation)
- In-process materials hold time studies
- Inspection reporting
- Manufacturing process validation
- Medical devices
- Microbial testing (since the lab is in progress)
- Packaging materials specification and test procedures development
- Qualification of existing analytical equipment
- Quality management systems
- Stability studies/testing
- Temperature mapping studies
CePAT is registered with the Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training in Ghana as a technical education and training provider. Selected courses are recognized as continuing professional development courses by the International Register of Certified Auditors, a division of Chartered Quality Institute, the leading body for quality management professionals in the United Kingdom.
- USP-Ghana Expands Center for Pharmaceutical Advancement and Training to Combat Poor Quality Medicines in Africa
- Removing Barriers to Improve Drug Quality in Africa
- CePAT Now Offers Pharmaceutical Quality Control Courses in French
- USP Efforts to Promote Access to Quality Medicines in Africa Boosted by Quick International Lab Accreditation