2015 Beal Award
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is pleased to announce that Gigi Davidson, R.Ph., DICVP, Chair of the USP 2010-2015 Compounding Expert Committee (elected volunteer) and Director of Clinical Pharmacy Services at North Carolina State's College of Veterinary Medicine, has been named the recipient of the 2015 Beal Award for Distinguished Volunteer Service - the organization's highest award.
Call for Nominations (closed October 2, 2014)
USP invited nominations of eligible and worthy candidates for the 2015 USP Beal Award, an honor recognizing distinguished USP volunteer service, extraordinary leadership and contributions. Each nominator was required to complete and submit a nomination packet along with no fewer than two and no more than five letters seconding the nomination. The Beal Award Selection Committee reviews all complete packets and announces the named recipient in January 2015.
About The USP Beal Award
The USP Beal Award for Distinguished Volunteer Service recognizes a person who has made outstanding contributions to the public health while serving as a USP volunteer. It was created to honor the lifelong USP contributions of James Hartley Beal, Ph.D., LL.B. (1861–1945) and his son, George Denton Beal, Ph.D. (1888–1972). The Beal Award is bestowed every five years at the USP Convention's Membership Meeting.
The recipient of the USP Beal Award will receive a crystal sculpture representing USP’s spirit of volunteerism (pictured). In addition, a cash award of $10,000 will be granted to an institution of the recipient’s choice to support work that will contribute to higher quality and more appropriate use of medicines or food ingredients.
Award Eligibility Criteria
Each nominee must:
- Be a current or former USP Volunteer serving as a member of at least one of the following: Board of Trustees, Council of Experts, Expert Committee, and/or USP Convention.
- Have made a substantial, direct contribution to the USP and its public health mission while serving as a USP volunteer. Contributions may include one significant event as a part of a particularly distinguishing career or a series of contributions over a number of years.
- Have demonstrated a strong commitment to the mission and vision of USP.
Award Selection Process
- August 2014: The formation of the USP Beal Award Selection Committee, the composition of which represents USP’s three governing bodies in the following way: three members of the Convention (appointed by the Convention President), one Trustee (appointed by the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees), and three members of the Council of Experts (appointed by the Chairperson of the Council of Experts). The Chairperson of the Council of Experts shall serve as Chair of the Committee and shall not vote except in the case of a tie.
- Nominees and their nominators are notified about the receipt of their Beal Award Nomination. However, nominees will not be considered unless all required documentation was received by October 2, 2014.
- USP staff reviews nomination forms for completeness and compliance with the instructions. Nominators will be notified if their forms are incomplete and such nominations will not be considered.
- Properly completed nomination documentation will be forwarded to the Beal Award Selection Committee.
- The Selection Committee chooses the recipient of the award by December 2014. Nominees will be informed of the results. In January 2015, the named recipient will be announced to the public.
Important Note: All decisions of the Beal Award Selection Committee are final.